Sunday 22 April 2012

Bathroom renovation

After
This is our Ensuite that we had to renovate due to water issues in the shower. Unfortunately the people who owned the house previously to us, didn’t have enough fall in the shower floor and it resulted in mushrooms growing between the grout and black mould and mushroom on the wall bedside the shower! Yuk!!




We had to demolish the shower wall and floor to see what kind of damage was done…It wasn't good…so we decided to update the bathroom by keeping what was great about the room and changing anything that didn’t work or look right.
First we modified the floor plan by extending the shower to take up the whole wall and relocated the toilet.
We removed the cornice so we could tile to the ceiling. I chose a mid-priced tile in a Limestone look. Gloss for the walls and a honed look for the floor. A very dark charcoal/almost black tile also in a gloss, makes up the feature wall in the shower. The cavity in the shower runs the full length of the wall, and I also used a tile grate so both of these elements virtually disappear. I really wanted to simplify the materials used and keep everything quite minimal as the built in vanity unity and stone top have a lot of presence already.  I made sure there was no chrome edging strips used on the walls where there are right angles and instead mitred the tiles. Its little things like this that you don’t necessarily notice, however if I did use them, it would have been quite noticeable.
We kept the built in vanity with the stone top (Terrazzo marble I think) but painted it black in a semi- gloss finish. However we wanted to change the basin to a more contemporary look that sat better with the cleaner lines of the existing spa bath. This also gave me the opportunity to change the tap to a mixer.
We also kept the stone top around the spa bath but removed the stone that continued up the wall. I also changed the taps for the spa. Keeping the 3 holes in the stone from the original tap set, I end up having to get a mixer manufactured to my specifications at just a small extra cost, then added a pull out hand shower (best thing ever to clean the spa) and a mixer that works it.  
 As there is plenty of storage in the vanity unit, I turned the LHS bottom cupboard into a dirty washing hamper. It’s a pretty easy process. First you change the hinge from the side of the door to the bottom and relocate the knob to the middle. A cupboard stay was added so that when opened, the door won’t drop down and hit your toes.

It’s a very his and hers bathroom. The ceiling rain shower is my husband’s preference and the wall mounted shower rail is mine. The LED lights in the shower are for my husband and the pendant lights that are dimmable are for me. I much prefer the warm, almost candle light quality, rather than the cool LED’s. The waterproof TV with the floating remote…well that’s all my husbands! Not my idea at all, but he loves it and regularly lays back in the spa bath with a beer watching golf, rugby, footy…you get the picture.

I have also included some before shots for you to check out.




No comments:

Post a Comment